Myth: Animal Digest Is A Low Quality Ingredient
Animal digest is a low-quality ingredient.
It’s a myth
Animal digest is often considered a substandard pet food ingredient. In some cases, this is because the word “digest” is mistakenly thought to describe the contents of the digestive tract.
The word “digest” in “animal digest” refers to the digestive process used in production, not the ingredients.
- The process starts with animal protein such as muscle and soft tissue supplied by USDA-inspected facilities.
- These ingredients are hydrolyzed or “digested” to break down the animal protein into peptides in a manner similar to digestion in the body.
- The resulting digest is in a liquid, but can also be made into a paste or powder.
Animal digest provides protein and flavor.
- Animal digest is extremely palatable and is an excellent source of high-quality protein.
- It’s often used in small amounts to enhance the taste of dry pet foods.
- Spraying animal digest on kibble or mixing it with the food significantly increases palatability.
Animal digest is a high-quality ingredient that provides an excellent source of protein and enhances the palatability of pet foods.