Bulldog Named ‘Thor’ Wins Best in Show at 2019 National Dog Show
A charming, sweet-tempered 2 ½-year-old red-and-white male Bulldog named “Thor” moved like a dream across the show ring floor to win the 18th annual "National Dog Show Presented by Purina" and capture his eighth Best in Show in his first year on the circuit with pro handler and co-owner Eduardo Paris.
The No. 1 Bulldog, Multi-BIS/Multi-BISS Diamond Gold Majesu Pisko Bulls has been on a winning roll since Paris, of Houston, discovered him in June 2018 at the Fédération Cynologique Internationale Americas & Caribbean show in Fortaleza, Brazil, where the 13-month-old took two Bests of Show from the classes. "When I saw Thor, who won over a favored dog from the U.S., I knew he was fabulous," Paris says.
Paris and Kara Gordon, of Houston, bought Thor from breeder Jonathan Flores (Majesu Pisko Bulls), who stays on as a co-owner with Nestor Chavez, both of Lima, Peru. Although shown sparingly in 2019, the handsome Bulldog has made breed history by winning 39 Non-Sporting Group Firsts, topping a record from 1988. Thor has won 27 Bests in Specialty Show, including the 2018 Bulldog Club of America National Specialty.
Six of the seven Group First winners at the National Dog Show were fueled to their wins by Purina Pro Plan dog food, including Thor who is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Salmon & Rice Formula. Televised on NBC on Thanksgiving Day, the National Dog Show features celebrity co-hosts David Frei and John O’Hurley, who team up on the broadcast that reaches over 20 million viewers. More than 2,000 dogs representing nearly 200 breeds were entered in this year’s show. Thor is the second Bulldog to win Best in Show in the 95-year history of host club Kennel Club of Philadelphia, with the previous Bulldog winning in 1940.
Describing her choice, Best in Show judge Charlotte Patterson of Destin, Florida, said, "The Bulldog represents the epitome of the breed standard. He has a lovely body and the upturn of his jaw and correct ear set give him a beautiful headpiece. He absolutely performed to perfection."
Smiling happily as he petted Thor after winning, Paris, who campaigned the top-winning Bulldog in the Brazil Kennel Club in 2014, said, "I love this dog. Thor gives his heart to me every single time. He is a solid dog with beautiful structure, and he moves wonderfully."
Thor is the ninth consecutive Best in Show winner of the National Dog Show to be fed Purina Pro Plan. The other Group First winners are:
- Reserve Best in Show and Toy Group Winner: GCH Oeste’s In the Name of Love, a 3-year-old male Havanese, handled by Taffe McFadden of Acampo, California. "Bono" was bred by the husband-wife team of Rafe H. Schindler and Mary E. King, Julie Vogel, and McFadden, and is co-owned by Bruce and Patricia Odette and his breeders. Bono is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Salmon & Rice Formula.
- Terrier Group Winner: Multi-BISS GCH Keepsake’s Raise Your Glass, a 1 ½-year-old male Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, handled by Sydney Robinson of Osgoode, Ontario, Canada. "Blaine" was bred by Shari and Sydney Robinson and Priscilla Tims, who are the co-owners with Cheryl Satherly. He is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Salmon & Rice Formula.
- Sporting Group Winner: Multi-BIS/Multi-BISS GCH Hillock’s Jack Daniels JH RA RATN WCX CGC, a 5-year-old male Golden Retriever, handled by Karen Mammano of Webster, New York. "Daniel" was bred by Tammy Tomlinson and Lisa and Jim Cohen. Co-owners are Tomlinson, Jim Cohen, and Robert Samios. The male Golden Retriever is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Salmon & Rice Formula.
- Hound Group Winner: BISS CH Reedly Road Supreme At Hallam, a 1-year-old female Pharaoh Hound, handled by Stacy Threlfall of Derry, New Hampshire. "Maddie" was bred by Maria Evteeva and is owned by Domonic Carota and Stephen Sipperly. She is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Salmon & Rice Formula.
- Herding Group Winner: Multi-BIS/Multi-BISS GCH Bagatelle Moonlight Drive, a 3 ½-year-old female Old English Sheepdog, handled by Clifford W. Steele of Carmel, New York. "Sophia" was bred by Linda Menard with owners Bernard and Joan Charest, and is co-owned by Roberta Corbett. She is fed Purina Pro Plan SPORT Active 26/16 Formula.
- Working Group Winner: Multi-BIS/Multi-BISS GCH Sharin Nick Of Dynasty RC Kennel, a 5 ½-year-old male Siberian Husky, handled by Michelle Scott of Chesapeake City, Maryland. Hsu Wen "Ron" Tang is the breeder and owner of "Nick."
Congratulations to the 2019 National Dog Show winners!